Our family-friendly volunteer trips are ideal for any family looking to do something different and learn and grow together. We can accommodate any type of family, from families with young children, to those looking for mother-daughter volunteer opportunities.
This is what you can expect from our family volunteering programmes:
- Work with and learn from diverse groups of people around the world
- Gain or improve valuable life skills, like communication and teamwork
- Work on long-term, sustainable solutions, not quick fixes, and show your children the power of helping others
- Get a unique insight into different cultures and traditions
For families volunteering abroad, we also offer:
- A hassle-free experience, where we take the lead with planning all the details of your trip
- 24/7 support and guidance from our trained, in-country staff
- Ethical projects where you make a real impact
Every child learns from watching their parents and the people around them. Go a step further and help your family learn and grow together through a family volunteer vacation!
What are some good volunteering opportunities for families?
As a family volunteering with Projects Abroad, you’ll roll up your sleeves get right to work on a project designed to benefit local people or the environment.
Some of our projects are more family-friendly than others. Here are our most popular and suitable projects for families:
- Conservation: Work in the heart of the Amazon Rainforest, help protect endangered giraffes in Kenya, or care for and release baby turtles into the ocean in Mexico. We have several conservation programmes around the globe that focus on protecting endangered species and environments. This is also a great option if you want a family volunteer vacation with animals.
- Childcare: As a family, you can support local teachers and caregivers by caring for and teaching kids. Plan fun activities, read stories, teach children games from your home-country, or help with mealtimes. As the saying goes, many hands equal light (and fun) work!
- Sports Coaching: Sports are a global language and have the power to bring people together. Share your family’s passion for sports with local kids and young athletes, and help encourage people to have fun keeping fit.
For a full list of our family-friendly volunteer holidays, take a look at our product snippets below. You can also speak to our Project Experts, who can advise you on which project will best fit your interests and goals.
Interested in family gap year volunteering? Our projects are safe and entirely flexible, and you can choose for how long you want to travel. We can also organise different types of projects in multiple countries. Read our popular blog post about the Fatan family who did just that!
How does it work for children?
We will also support families with children of various ages:
- We can accept volunteers aged four years and older with their families. Contact us if your child will be under the age of four at the time you want to travel and we can discuss the options available.
- Ages 4-14: Children between 4-14 years old can be accommodated and work with their parent(s) for a reduced fee.
- Ages 15+: If your child is aged 15 or older, he/she may volunteer without the accompaniment of a parent at the standard per person price.
- We offer a 5% discount to immediate family members travelling together. This discount applies to adults and children aged 15+.
Please note that we can usually arrange projects for families in all destinations except China and Costa Rica.
In Jamaica, families are welcome. However, children cannot go to work with their parents here, so one parent needs to look after the children, or childcare can be arranged.