You are from: United States, Go to our American website.

Volunteer Overseas

Community service credit

Community service is often a requirement for high school graduation, not to mention critical to the college application process. Universities look for both service and international experience from applicants, so showing that you have community service hours abroad from a High School Special is a way to set yourself above the rest on a college application. Students can usually apply their time volunteering abroad with Projects Abroad toward any community service requirements for high school or university graduation. If you intend to do this, it's always a good idea to get in touch with us well before your project start date so that we can coordinate with your school or university.

Credit for Service Hours: How Does it Work?

On most High School Specials, students will typically work for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. On a few days, volunteers will finish work early to partake in cultural activities, training courses or tourism. A typical 2-week High School Special will involve approx. 40 hours of work and a typical 4-week High School Special will involve 80 hours.

Volunteering Abroad for 16 Year Olds

If you are planning on using this experience to receive credit for community service, please tell us on your application form exactly how many hours of work you will need to do, and if there are any other requirements for your experience.

Upon returning home, you will receive a certificate verifying your participation in a High School Special and recognizing your international volunteer work or internship experience. In most cases all you need to do is show this certificate to your school or university to receive credit for community service hours.

If your school requires a form to be completed and signed by us, just bring the forms with you on your trip and Projects Abroad in-country staff will be happy to fill it out at the end of your trip.

If you have more questions about how you can earn community service credit or contribute towards CAS for a Projects Abroad High School Special please contact us.

Call us on:
Tailor-Made Group Trip

Tell your friends about this page:

Back to top ▲